Tutoring in Reading and Reading Comprehension
The ability to read with proficiency is one of the most valuable life skills your child will ever learn. It can either open—or close—doorways of opportunity. Reading impacts a student’s future success profoundly. Our goal is to inspire our students to become successful, lifelong readers.
At ABOVE-GRADE TUTORING of Chester County, we approach reading 3 ways:
- We teach students foundational reading skills, giving them the tools to decipher even unfamiliar words.
- We teach students beginning through advanced strategies to understand what they read.
- We teach students high-order, critical thinking skills to analyze and process what they read.
For struggling readers, we offer a multisensory approach. For advanced readers, we challenge them with critical thinking skills.
Does your child avoid writing like the plague? Does he stare at a blank page for an hour, wrestling with “writer’s block?” Does she write five pages of run-on sentences, unable to organize her thoughts concisely?
We love working with students like these! We take both enthusiastic writers and reticent writers—and transform their writing. Young writers breathe a sigh of relief when they discover that basic writing skills can be learned—by just about anyone! We train our students to write with clarity and focus, using the 4-step writing process. For advanced students, we teach them advanced writing skills and secrets used by professional writers, like how to write less but say more, and how to introduce elements of style into their writing.
The ABOVE-GRADE TUTORING proprietary curriculum instructs students in two basic types of writing: Academic Non-Fiction writing and Creative Fiction writing.
- Academic writing: encompasses the basic categories of non-fiction writing that students are expected to master in their school careers
- Creative writing: introduces students to the delights of fiction writing— the gripping elements of character, plot, dialogue, pacing, and more. Far from being trivial, creative writing challenges students to think outside-the-box, preparing them with the ability to problem-solve creatively. These brain-based skills are in great demand in our workforce—yet they have been largely eliminated from schools’ curricula.
Advanced Placement and College Prep Writing
We have programs designed specifically for students participating in Advanced Placement or College Prep courses. Whatever the subject, the ability to write well will undoubtedly play a significant role in a student’s success. Students in these advanced college-prep programs will benefit from our Advanced Essay Writing course.
Whether your student is a math or science whiz, or an avid writer, he or she will absolutely benefit from ABOVE-GRADE TUTORING’s proven writing system that guarantees* results.
ABOVE-GRADE TUTORING of Chester County’s English tutoring addresses critical communication skills for students from Kindergarten through 12th grade, skills that will benefit them for a lifetime.
With our personalized, one-to-one, in-home tutoring, we give your child the tools they need to achieve their fullest potentials. We create a nurturing learning environment that boosts your student’s school performance and transforms their confidence.
Our expertly-developed curriculum is so effective that we guarantee your child’s grade will improve by at least one full grade level or ten percentage points after completing 35 hours of tutoring in Mathematics or English, or we will provide 4 additional tutoring hours at no further cost, provided student follows ABOVE-GRADE TUTORING’s recommended program.